Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Some new bits

Now the main restoration of Dove is nearly at an end we have been putting the finishing touches to the engine 'ole and making access a little easier. First a set of steps.
Also a tool box to get rid of my spanners etc. that rattle and vibrate all over the floor. This also doubles as a step. To finish off the steps and tool box I have sourced some steel tread that was used on the old bus and lorry cab steps and they're only in Walsall.
You note that I've been splashing some paint about, the bottom sides of the engine 'ole is now green
bit brighter than black don't you think.
Another job that needed doing was the day tank level gauge and the fuel filler pipe needed redoing.  

Now the next bit, is it a Pigeon box or, is it a biscuit tin? For a while now, we've been running round with a bodged box on the cabin top. Time to make a proper ventilator now the summer is here and the air cooled engine is getting rather warm.

Friday, 6 May 2011

I'm back

Due to a blip in the new and improved blog system and, my computer not getting on. The last post has just gone on line.

I will now try to catch up with all the events etc.

The Docking

As usual, we're on the last push. A week before we go to the port we're in the dock. It's been two years since the last docking so I thought we better have a knock round and a spot of blacking splodged on. Nothing seems to have deteriorated much except for the Shoe plate that's had a battering after being grounded several times round the BCN.
While we were in the dock I took advantage and finished the cabin sides with a couple of coats of shiny off white paint and touched up the black. Then on Saturday morning Jim turned up to do the lettering.Saturday afternoon I put on the cotton strings and that's about it, Sunday morning we're off to Ellesmere Port.